Tips for Better Mobile SEO
With recent Google updates relating to the upcoming mobile first index, we at WMG have put together a few tips on how to come up with and utilise a better mobile SEO strategy for your site.
Recently Google has started slowly rolling out their mobile first index, which turns off desktop rankings, meaning a site will be ranked on mobile rankings only. Sites which currently aren’t very well optimised for mobile SEO are likely to be impeded within the rankings.
Mobile Optimisation Facts
- The number of searches from mobile has overtaken those coming from desktops.
- People are five times more likely to leave a site that is not mobile friendly.
- Over 50% of users still leave if a mobile site takes longer than three seconds to load.
Mobile Optimisation Checklist:
Below are a few points to check that will give you a basis of a strong mobile SEO campaign:
- Responsive Design – Shrinks down to size to fit any mobile screen, this includes keeping text the right size and fit to the screen, ensuring it is still legible.
- Page Load Speed – As mentioned above, a quick page loading time is key for mobile. Google’s Page Insights Tool gives great recommendations on how to improve your speed score.
- Mobile Design and Usability – Ensuring that the mobile version of a site is easy to navigate, and the inclusion of any easy click button functionality, such as click-to-call.
Using Search Console for Mobile Issues
Google’s Search Console has an excellent section which will flag any mobile issues your site may have. It splits it up into the following possible issues:
- Viewport not configured – Can be resolved by implementing a viewport meta tag.
- Fixed-width viewport
- Content not sized to viewport
- Small font size
- Touch elements too close – Occurs when buttons and links on a page are too close together.
- Flash usage – Flash cannot be rendered by mobile browsers and therefore should not be used.
For a full list of how WMG can help in this area visit – http://www.webmarketinggroup.co.uk/services/mobile-seo/