Tips for 2014 – WMG’s New Year Resolutions
2013 was a big year for changes to the Google algorithm and emerging digital trends.
At WMG, we’ve used our digital marketing expertise and what we know about what’s happened in 2013 to gauge how the digital world will lie in 2014. Here are some handy tips and advice for structuring your digital strategy in 2014:
- With Google’s Hummingbird update and users’ increasingly advanced search queries, in the New Year local SEO is going to be more important than ever. Your optimisation should focus on long-tail, area specific search terms, rather than generic phrases. This will help increase your levels of returning traffic.
- More importantly, make sure that your site answers the search query it is found for. Ensure that your site provides helpful content that doesn’t just just promote your product, but offers your visitors the answers that they are searching for. Not only will this keep potential customers on your site, but it will encourage Google to move you up the rankings as their focus shifts onto usability.
- In light of Google’s shift towards site usability, 2014 is the time to really make sure that your landing pages are up to scratch. Have another look at your site navigation, the position of text on the page and reduce the number of adverts above the fold.
- As Google has started penalising sites that are difficult to use on mobile devices, 2014 is the first year where your site must be fully responsive. This doesn’t just stop at web design; your content needs to be tailored to those on different devices.
- Content should be your main focus for 2014 – and by content we don’t just mean the text on the page. Be interesting, engage visitors through video, blogs, competitions, podcasts…the possibilities are endless.If you do nothing else in 2014, market socially. Become a “Topical Authority”, choose the social platforms appropriate for your company and use them to provide useful information promoting your products in a none-too-forceful way.
- If you do nothing else in 2014, market socially. Become a “Topical Authority”, choose the social platforms appropriate for your company and use them to provide useful information promoting your products in a none-too-forceful way.
- Link Networks will continue to be hit by Google in 2014, so continue cleaning up any poor quality links. Plan for the future through building a beneficial link profile that will last.
- Last but not least, make use of the intelligent tools on offer to measure your campaign success and failure. One size doesn’t fit all – so don’t carry on with aspects that aren’t working. Instead, focus on what does work and intensify your efforts there.
If you keep in mind this advice when creating and tailoring your digital marketing strategy, 2014 has the potential to be a great year for your business.
If you would like to find out more about our tips for 2014 give us a call!